Tuesday 17 March 2015

ANIMATION: 3D boney

For this animation I wanted to animate the Boney rig to push against the wall and then give up.
Setting up the rig so it's arms were against the wall was easy enough, in my original that I had lost the save file of I spent a long time on the original setting the arms up against the wall focusing too much on preparation. I had timed my animations so I would have time to spare but I was not aware of how long it would take me to finish the boney rig; it took me 3 days.
I had huge troubles setting up the IK/FK switch that was important part of the animation. Due to this I wasn't able to find time to fix the animation afterwards using the graph editor to fix the points of the animation that went through the wall.
I googled tutorials for the IK/FK switch online and found a few videos that were useful but could not be applied to my rig, I found many tutorials that were valid but on the wrong program and I found myself stuck due to not knowing the program well enough to fix it myself and could not find a solution that made sense to my understanding of the interface. I then went to the library and took out a book suggested by the lecturers on IK/FK switches in Maya. I took out the book "Learning Autodesk Maya 8" and browsed through it until I found pages that could help, but to to no avail, much of the book told me information to do with the next step and not to do with the part I was stuck on. I found out how to switch the IK/FK from these books but I could not tell how to animate it with the IK and the FK. I swapped them but found I couldn't transition them. Eventually I found a lecturer after spending a long amount of time on the weekend tyring to do it on my own. I was directed to the teleportation section of the graph editor to fix the IK/FK switch and used coordinates to change the positioning so they matched after duplicating an arm. I found this technique easy after this and was able to hone and memorise the technique by teaching fellow course mates who were also stuck on it.

1 comment:

  1. 3D Animation https://pinksquare.com/3d-animation/: Just What Your Product Requires

    The animation market is big- it was worth over $254 billion dollars back in 2017. It has, however, become apparent that the rise was but the beginning. This is largely due to the fact that animation has made its presence felt in the area of marketing.

    When many people think 3D animation, they think entertainment. This is simply because animation has kept us captivated in cinemas for the longest time. The capability to captivate and inspire is in fact the reason why animation is quite popular among marketers nowadays.

    That raises the question, "Is 3D product animation worth all the hype?

    Well, to be honest, it WORTH More Than THAT!

    This is best illustrated by brands like Gillette and the beloved Apple. With Gillette, for instance, a boring shave is transformed into a 3D adventure. Now consider at the extent of trust the marketing technique garners for the brand. As its competitors use traditional marketing, Gillette infuses some 3D adventure to set itself apart. The quality of the animation is considered reflective of the brand's quality. This is exactly what 3D product animation intends to achieve- to help you tower over the competition.

    The advantages of 3D animation- as a marketing tool- can be summed up in three main points:

    1. Prototyping Magic: Lots of money goes into designing a prototype to test the market. These expensive prototypes yield the necessary feedback but, what if you could get the feedback at a lower price? Well, now there is. With a 3D product animation, you can- inexpensively- create a model of your product and utilize it to gauge the market. This way, you get feedback for your product cheaply.

    2.First Impressions last Forever: The most exciting items rarely look the part. Think about Gillette adverts without the interesting 3D aspect. Would it not place you to sleep in the first five seconds?

    With 3D product animation, however, a boring product is changed into an adventure of cinematic proportions. In the virtual world, any product becomes exciting with a few 360-degree turns and just the correct amount of special effects. Do it properly and the market will obsess over your product.

    Apple's iPhone X is a great example of this phenomenon. Apple invested seriously on 3D product animation to have the phone noticed. The major brands of the world- think Huawei, Microsoft, and Samsung- all use 3D product animations. It is no wonder they lead their markets.

    3.Money Matters: 3D product animation is not an expense, it is a save. Besides marketing, the 3D model can also be used to determine glitches in an unfinished product. Designers get a feel of the product before it's physically prototyped- and make all the proper changes.

    On top of that, animation is a very cost-effective marketing system. With the growing popularity of Virtual Reality (VR) and 3D printing, it helps to show that you are acquainted with the latest trends.

    To sum it up, your product has a lot to gain from 3D technologies. You can give it glamor, appeal, and mystique. Animation also provides the brand legitimacy as a modern oriented company. You will be pleased to know how many good products fail to sell due to how they introduced themselves to the market.

    Don't add to that sad statistic. Stir things up. Turn your ad into a 3D tale showcasing your product as the elegant and irresistible hero. Everybody likes those, or don't you?

    ReplyDelete