Sunday 7 November 2021

Painting...

 I'm heavily in preference to linework in art. However, I've been wanting to branch out into simplistic cartoony painting for a while now. In the realm of social media there's this running theme from artists that we all have a 'natural art style' and that we should just be happy with what we've got. I don't believe this. I believe any art style can be learnt with enough dedication. After all, Animation exists! Digital Painting is not my specialty, and it never will be if I don't practice it. 

The truth is, sometimes the image in my head just has to be painted, and these days I'm willing to risk more mistakes to get there. 


This is the first painted illustration I did in late 2020. I don't have a breakdown of my process for it, but needless to say, I was in unsure waters. There were so many layers! For a painting, too! I should have taken more time to watch & learn from digital painters, many offer their knowledge through tutorials and speedpaints. But for this one, I didn't! Lesson learnt. 

Tutorials, perhaps not, but I did have an image library of references for this one. 

I treated it much like I would a lineart piece, which I don't believe you should. I was too focused on cleanliness and order when I've found since then that painting freely and being willing to make adjustments is better.

(2020 - Clip Studio Paint)

Regardless of what I've learnt with this one, I'm still happy with it for now... Which only means there's much more growth for me to pursue..


A follow up on the painting practice, and a more energetic posing. A lot of little details on the outfit and different colours made it a nice challenge. I certainly learnt the error of my ways with using too many layers to paint on this one. 

(2020)


I wanted to push myself with a more crowded image, contrasting multiple characters against each other without linework. 



(2021)


On the left is the first artwork I ever made in Clip Studio Paint, it was done to try and understand the program. At the time I had a clear vision, wanting to push the colour and graphic design capabilities. I was inspired by artist BitsOfCrom. The style is very different from his, but that's the inspiration at the time. 
Since I now consider myself well-versed, perhaps even an expert, at Clip Studio Paint, I decided to go back to it. I always liked the image in concept, sharp colours particularly but now I am more skilled and I wanted to show a growth by redrawing it, using digital painting instead of lineart to compliment the singular colours more so. 

(2017-2021 Clip Studio Paint)


For this one I really wanted to push the storybook style that digital painting allows. I wanted to show a book cover design. With simply the idea of a kid in the woods, focusing on the layout and composition, along with an alternative styling. 

(2021 Clip Studio paint)



When it comes to backgrounds, I've always loved the aesthetic of Sonic Adventure 2's level design. Overgrown forests that compliment a level. I think it's neat, so that's what I wanted to focus on. Recreating a level that seemed so clear to me in my childhood's mind's eye, but in reality, well it's an old game. A lot of the level is hard to see and the nature of such levels, goes by very fast. It was a nice challenge to recreate a level that I could find very few clear references for. 
(2021 Clip Studio Paint)



(2021 Breakdowns)




Similar to my earlier piece, Asuka, I do like simplistic painting, few colours but with light shading this time. I had the image of a girl blowing heart bubbles. Despite simplicity, this is the one I took time to research and study the most for. One of the inspirations was the cover for the Album SlimeGirls

(2021 Clip Studio Paint)

I toyed around with simple character designs for this. Some of these designs I really like, but didn't fit the vision as clearly.
(Character Exploration)


(Colour Exploration)






As you can see, much of my work has been done in Clip Studio Paint, so I've wanted to follow these up with artwork using Adobe Photoshop. As much as I love Clip Studio, there are benefits to other programs too, and some things Photoshop can do that Clip cannot. 

No comments:

Post a Comment