Friday 12 February 2016

ANIMATION: 3D modeling 2D turn sheet

For my turn sheet I used a turn sheet I had made in my game project. I wanted to sue this because I felt it was more accurate than a new one and I had put time into the designs.

I attempted it 3 times. I used this turn sheet at first and tried boxing it out. I then got demoralised and felt lost on where I was and how to do it, I was very confused on to how to make the arms, tail, and leg I had messed up along the way so i wanted to start again.
I was not intending to model any of the clothing. 

Eventually I started again with a different turn sheet of the same batch. I got a lot further and made the arms and tail with it, but I was unsure how to duplicate the arms and mesh them together. I ran into the same issues with this and Maya had gotten stuck on a high-poly version which would not divert back to the low poly for me to edit, it also kept crashing. (I would later find out this was because I needed to delete the history and the model would go back to low-poly if I had just restarted the program. I wish I had not ran into this issue because it was easily fixed and I didn't work hard enough to fix it. I wanted to start on an easier model sheet.

Looking back it may have been best for my time management to just go with this design from the start and work with it however in the stage of making it higher-poly I found many overlapping polygons that I could not fix and I feel I learnt more from working on the 2nd model in the end. 

 I decided after making most of it it was best to go back to the 2nd and fix it as I felt I had wasted too much time restarting and was further with that one. I think I should have just stuck to one but I don't regret the learning experience of making theses, even if they're not complete. 
I got help with copying the arm through duplication and I managed to conjoin them using tools my lecturer showed me. I managed to learn how to do this, and how to extrude quickly as well as short cuts for changing it to a higher poly. 

I needed help exporting it into Mudbox and managed to fix the model with the extra vertexes in order to do so. I used Mudbox to clean up the model as I was unable to do so in Maya but this was rushed as I had wasted most of my time making multiple models. I am glad I planned out my time so I would have extra time for this. I smoothed it out and then put it back into Maya for rigging. Before rigging I wanted to try UV unwrapping and making textures. I had not had a lecture on this yet and had no idea how to do it. I managed to unwrap it with the use of an extension. I was not entirely sure of how to do it and I don't think I did it in any good way but I'm glad I had the learning experience. I had no idea how to use alpha channels and such. I rigged the model with relative ease but I found that the animation needed more time on fixing the rig for the folding of the model which I got completely stuck on and admitted I had no time to use for it. I animated it quite simply and exported it into the Gallery. I spent the remaining 5 hours I had allocated myself to place everything in the gallery, set it up to work in Unity, play test it, and make sure everything worked, testing the CD-Rom before submitting the piece. 



3 comments:

  1. I’ll right away grab your rss as I can’t find your e-mail subscription hyperlink or newsletter service. Do you’ve any? Kindly let me recognise in order that I may just subscribe. Thanks. final cut pro x 

    ReplyDelete
  2. 3D Animation: Precisely What Your Product Needs

    2017 saw the value of the global animation market rise to $254 billion. We, however, don't anticipate it to stop there. This industry is sure to develop, particularly now that it has proved to be an effective marketing strategy.

    9 Warning Signs Of Your 3D Animation Demise

    When many people think 3D animation, they think entertainment. This is simply because animation is phenomenal at captivating an audience. In the recent past, however, 3D animation is increasingly being utilized to show off products.

    That raises the question, "Is 3D product animation worth all the hype?

    Well, Extremely Effective!

    Just take a look at brand names like Gillette and Apple. Take a look at the Gillette ads and you will realize that a simple animation changed a lowly shave into an adventure. The big gain for the brand is the perception the animation creates. Gillette sets itself apart from its competitors by taking this new method to marketing. At the end of the day, a top quality animation reflects well on your brand. That is exactly what a good 3D product animation will do for your brand; it will make you stand shoulders above the competition.

    When 3d animation is utilized as a marketing tool, three main advantages are realized:

    1.Profit Minded Prototyping: Releasing a prototype to the market is an extremely expensive affair. To be fair, they do the job but, what if there was a cheaper alternative? Well, now you can. 3D product animation can be utilized to design a virtual prototype and expose it to the market. This way, you get the feedback synonymous with prototypes without the expense.

    2.First Impressions Matter Most: Products are hardly entertaining to look at. Imagine the Gillette brand without the 3D animation. How boring would that have been?

    With 3D product animation, however, a dull product is transformed into an adventure of cinematic proportions. In the virtual world, any product gets exciting with some 360-degree turns and just the proper amount of special effects. When done correctly, animation will endear your brand to the relevant niche.

    Apple's iPhone X is a good example of this trend. Apple invested heavily on 3D product animation to get the phone noticed. Many other brands including Microsoft, Huawei, and Samsung have also used 3D product animations. Now you know why they dominate their respective niches.

    3.Money Talks: 3D product animation saves money. Aside from marketing, the 3D model can also be utilized to identify glitches in an unfinished product. Designers get a feel of the product before it is physically prototyped- and make all the proper changes.

    On top of that, animation is a very cost-effective marketing platform. Just look at how famous Virtual Reality (V.R) and 3D modelling are- no one can get enough of 3D.

    To sum it up, your product has a lot to gain from 3D technologies. The animation will give your product an aura of suspense and class that the market just finds irresistible. Being a modern development, animation provides your product legitimacy in the modern market. The wrong first impression has been the death of many products.

    Don't be part of that statistic. Spice things up. Make your item the hero of an animated advertisement. Everybody loves those, or don't you?

    ReplyDelete